The 2019 Awards are now closed. Winners will be notified in July.
To stay up to date, including about next year’s awards, please subscribe to our newsletter.
The below is for information only.
- The competition closes Sunday 2 June 2019 at 11:59pm. Entries submitted after the deadline will not be eligible. Submissions cannot be altered after entry.
- This year’s theme is ‘Home.’ Your work should respond to the theme, implicitly or explicitly. However we are seeking the highest quality writing foremost.
- You can submit ONE piece of writing in each category (poetry or fiction) or ONE piece of writing in one category, up to and not exceeding the word limits per category:
- Poetry: maximum 300 words
- Fiction: maximum 2,000 words
- The competition is ONLY open to people who are under-represented–those who find it difficult to access the literary world either because of mental health issues, disability, health or social circumstance. These categories are defined here.
- The competition is ONLY open to UK residents over 18 years old.
- The competition is ONLY open to writers who have not previously published a book/stand-alone publication via an established press/publisher (excluding self-published or as part of an anthology).
- You can enter online, by post or in person.
- We prefer typed entries, but accept handwritten entries—do keep copies as entries will not be returned.
- Please DO NOT put your name on your work. Judging is anonymous.
- We cannot offer feedback on your work or enter into correspondence about your entry.
- Winning pieces will be published in our anthology and therefore must not have been published previously in magazines, anthologies or online where there is an external selection process (e.g. except on your own blog, website or social media).
- Finalists will be notified by 31 July 2019 and no earlier. Judges’ decisions are final.
- If you have entered your work into another competition and win, or the piece is accepted for publication elsewhere, please notify us immediately to withdraw your submission.
- Copyright remains with the author, though by submitting you agree to allow us to publish winning work in the anthology, on our and our partners’ websites.
- Employees of Creative Future or our project partners are ineligible to enter the competition.
- Your personal data will be covered by current UK data protection legislation.
- We reserve the right to not award the first prize, and to cancel the publication of the anthology, where circumstances are beyond our control, or if the judges’ overall verdict is that the level of entries is not up to the required standard for publication.
- We reserve the right to amend the Rules as deemed necessary or where circumstances are beyond our control. Any changes will be posted on the Creative Future Writers’ Award website.
Please help us keep the awards free by making an optional suggested donation of as little as £3.
Please get in touch with Creative Future if you need help on 01273 234780 or email [email protected].