Unlike other literary competitions that offer a cash first prize and a book token for second place, we want to encourage the writing development of our winners.
There are twelve prizes up for grabs – half are for short fiction, the other half for poetry.
All winners will be published in the award anthology alongside the Host (Lemn Sissay TBC), Guest Author Kerry Hudson and the Writer in Residence Sharon Duggal. The anthology will be produced by Just Content & Jellyfish, distributed by the latter. Award winners will be invited to read their work at the high profile showcase event alongside the Host and Guest Writer. All award winners will receive on-going support, advice and signposting from Creative Future, and will be invited to partake in our new Pitching Workshop and ‘Meet the Agents’ event.
Two prizes will be given at each level – one for poetry and one for prose. In addition to the joint prizes listed above, award winners at each level will receive:
- £200 Cash Prize
- A Chapter and Verse mentorship with a published author or professional editor and a manuscript assessment via The Literary Consultancy, plus the chance to attend a TLC Industry Day
- A ‘meet the professional’ consultation with Tom Chivers, Director of Penned in the Margins (poetry) or Candida Lacey, Director of Myriad Editions (prose)
- £150 Cash Prize
- Prose prize: An online writing course of your choice from Penguin Random House Writers’ Academy
- Poetry prize: An online writing course of your choice, plus a 1-2-1 tutorial from The Poetry School
- A manuscript assessment via The Literary Consultancy
- £100 Cash Prize
- £100 of vouchers for courses with your local writing development agency or other literature organisation
- £50 Cash Prize
- A year’s subscription to Mslexia Magazine and a hard copy of Mslexia’s Indie Press Guide.
- A copy of Creative Future’s ‘How to Pitch to an Agent’ Pathway Guide
No professional development prizes can be exchanged for cash. Award winners may need to conduct meetings or mentoring via phone, email, or Skype. Please note that prizes are subject to change as we develop award partnerships.